Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 42:56 — 29.6MB) | Embed
The transition and advantages of having custom label art, with Jessica Clare of Cleophus Quealy
I have worked with Cleophus over the last couple of years, and we just moved from a “wine” style label to doing custom artwork for each bottle release. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches and I was also curious about the timing and positioning to start creating custom labels for a smaller brewery.
Some key talking points:
- Why using 750ml bottles work well for their brewery and branding
- “Wine” style labels, just changing the name for each label
- Why uniform labels cause confusion to customers
- Does a membership club influence labels and beer release strategy?
- When is it the time to create custom labels for each release?
- The photogenic aspects of labels, social media and marketing imagery.
- Merch tie-ins from label artwork
- Collectibility, or creating a series of label art
- Building buzz and selling more bottles by releasing more than one beer at a time.